Monday, 12 November 2007

ΚΠγ and post thoughts...


I was a B2 Oral examiner at the November 2007 KPG (or ΚΠγ) exams at the Ioannina Exam Centre last Saturday... and I was once more reaaaalllyy dissapointed by the language level of the candidates I had to examine.

Would you care for some bare statistics? Well, from the 30 candidates who were unlucky enough to enter my exam room (OK, I'm only joking!) only one (1) got 20/20, twenty or so of them got from 10-14/20 whereas, the rest nine of them either failed or got 7-8/20 (let me remind you that the passing score for the Oral Exam in KPG is 7 out of 20.)

The topics were toooo easy (human relationships, environment, food, giving instructions for safe driving) and, according to my experience, discussed and analysed in the majority of the EFL classrooms. Nevertheless, I was once more obliged to sit in an exam room for 5 hours with no central heating and a lot of outdoor noise, listening to B2 candidates uttering "diamonds" (a greek expression for errors and mistakes when speaking or writing) like "He don't have", "a apple", "3 childrens" and so on and so forth.

I think I might know the reason why frontistirio students are urged to participate in KPG although their teachers are aware of the students' level and capabilities but I am interested in your own opinion as well. So, in case you have any comments, do post them and maybe we could have a fruitful exchange of ideas...